Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Saturday, June 22, 2013
The woman walked into the store.
Sentence with icons added:
A bell at the front of the store clanged as the swiftly opening door crashed into it. In walked a woman straight out of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Her hair was slicked back into an impossibly neat bun. She marched authoritatively to the front counter and dropped a purse, nearly bigger than she was, to the glass with a jangling fwump.
"One pair of overalls please," she demanded. The please was an afterthought.
-contributed by Whitney Emeigh
Posted by Gretchen Bernabei at 8:24 PM
Text Structure: A completely made up story
- Pedro, a mariachi trumpet player, was playing his first professional gig at a Mexican restaurant.
- Suddenly, someone in the audience asked for a song he didn’t know how to play.
- He tried to ask the director how to play his part, but the director only knew his particular part.
- He asked the other trumpet player next to him and the man agreed to hum the harmony to Pedro.
- Thanks to his great ear, Pedro was able to pick up the harmony and play it perfectly.
By Melina Ocampo, Mariachi
Posted by Gretchen Bernabei at 8:22 PM
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Friday, June 14, 2013
Sam looked over, and to his dismay, found the toilet paper roll exhausted.
Beginning to sweat, he searched frantically all about him.
He reached out, straining, to the cabinet under the sink, but his arms were too short.
Sam left defeated, missing a sock.
Posted by Gretchen Bernabei at 7:49 AM
Thursday, June 13, 2013
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Monday, June 10, 2013
We read the essay, "Fishing with Grandpa," from the new book, Fun-Size Academic Writing for Serious Learning, (coming from Corwin at the end of the summer) and did the activity, using colors to find the four kinds of text. That resulted in four icons, four kinds of text, to begin a "writer's tools" list in the classroom. As they learn more, students can add to their own personal copy of icons in their journals .
Posted by Gretchen Bernabei at 10:29 PM